Rotary District 6220

Rotary International established the present boundaries of District 6220 in 1968 to encompass the northeastern quarter of the State of Wisconsin and most of the Upper Peninsula of the State of Michigan.

Most of the District is rural, with only the southernmost Wisconsin portion having a large enough population base and industry to be described as metropolitan. The District is fairly large in physical size and fairly small in terms of population. The Wisconsin part includes 17,560 square miles with a population of about 829,000 (47 people per square mile); the Michigan part is 14,800 square miles with a population of about 314,000 (21 people per square mile). Over half of the land in the District is held in public trust as National or State parks, forests, campgrounds, or preserves; another large part is privately owned for commercial forests and mining. The citizens are seen as a friendly, adventurous, and independent people who value both the beauty of their home and its comparative isolation. Over 57,000 students pursue higher education in the District’s 9 two-year colleges and technical schools (20,000) and the 9 public and private senior and graduate universities (37,000).

Rotary came to the area long before the current boundaries of District 6220 were established. Of its 41 clubs, seven were chartered before 1920 and nineteen more by 1930. The most recent club was chartered in 2004. Present club sizes vary between 9 and 190 to give a total membership of about 2,200 men and women working to give Service Above Self to their communities and to the world. The District has been a leader in Rotary Youth Exchange, a strong supporter of the Rotary Foundation programs of Group Study Exchange, Ambassadorial Scholarships, and Matching Grants, and an increasing supporter of Rotary Volunteers and World Community Service Projects.